Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bad Dream

I suppose it must be true that you cannot see yourself die in a dream. I woke up right before the horrendous deed.

It was the strangest thing. I don't remember any of the dreams plot or why I was there, but I was in Sweden on a craggy hill, looking down a row of small houses or shops. I was looking for a particular craftsman. I don't know how I know that, but you do in dreams. So, there I stand on this rocky hill looking down this row of buildings. Then I hear a woman's voice. She says, "I'm not talking with her here."

The woman is dressed for the cold. Long woolen coat, knitted scarf and hat. She is holding a double tall type coffee shop style styrofoam coffee cup. Short brown hair curls around the edges of her hat.

I turn to see the man she is talking to and my eyes first see his black shoes, well creased pants, the bottom of a light brown woolen winter coat. My eyes continue to travel up and I see a gun. I never see the man's face. My eyes never travel past the gun. The gun fires and I feel a burning sensation in my stomach as I fall forward, flat on my face. I hear their voices though I do not try to make out what they say. My mind is speeding over information. Were there any people in the area to hear the shot? How long would it take for them to find me? Would they just call the police? How fast was I bleeding? Did the bullet miss the bowel? Did it miss the kidney? I'm concluding that if help arrives in a certain amount of time that I have a very good chance of surviving this.

Then I notice that the voices have stopped. The back of the woman is receding. Then I feel the man bending over me. Completely down. I can feel his breath on the back of my neck. He straightens. Then I feel the cold barrel of the gun setting against the spine, just below my head......

AND I'M AWAKE!!!

I'm up and walk around the house.... check the dog... go pee... look out the window and make sure there are no strange cars... listen for voices.... and try to figure out why Bergman movies are so big on dream sequences! Then finally , I put my hand on my stomach. All clear.

Then, because I'm brave, I go back to bed.

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment