Monday, October 24, 2011

No Tall Food!!!

Yesterday I went to the ACTHA ride. I judged the "hat pickup" obstacle, where a rider has to pick a hat up from the ground while staying on horse back. Then helped the coordinator. Tried to be the steady Eddy, right hand man person. Made it through the two people bitching about the way they were judged. Drove an hour and a half to get home.

When I got home Mac was watching public television... a cooking show. I went out to see the girls and to tell them that someday the worst of the work would be over. Someday it would all be worthwhile. Someday we would be doing things together. Someday....

After they stripped away much of my irritation and weariness, I got started on a crappy supper. Mac was watching another cooking show. Saute this... glaze that. Julienne some veg. Make a sauce. Then the presentation. The food is arranged. It... what ever it is, is set so it is only two inches across at the bottom but about four inches tall. How do you eat that?! They should have just put it in an ice cream cone for safety purposes! The next dish is the same. How tall can food get? How much decorative crap can be hung on a food item?

As we sat there eating our very flat, cheap pizza, I told Mac,"This is just ridiculous"

"What?"

"All this tall food."

"Why's that?"

"Look at that! How do you eat that? If they were cooking people they'd boil the meat off the skull and put it on the platter with posies in the eye sockets! I don't know.... that food has lost it's dignity. That's just not right."

He didn't respond right off as he was laughing at me.... "You did have a bad day, didn't you"

"Yeah, but I never did like tall food. That damn thing needs a buttress."

The laughter continued. Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I'll start it with toast... cause it's flat!

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment