Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chick Flicks

It's a shame that men don't understand the power of a chick flick. If they did, they would have their own copies. My husband and I watched "The Mirror Has Two Faces" last night. He laughed in the appropriate places. He got George Segal's great line..."I gave a copy of 'Farewell to Arms' to my girlfriend. She thought it was a diet book." But he didn't "get" the movie. He somehow came away thinking it was about teaching, and it was just that one person was a better teacher then the other.

I'm not sure if that is an indication of emotional damage or mental.

Anyway, I'd like to take a moment to explain chick flicks to guys....... The chick flick is a romantic contrivance to illicit an emotional response. Kind of like slap stick for the three Stooges, situational comedy is for Lucy, the seven words for George Carlin. It's the set up! But why a guy should like it is that it softens the frosty demeanor. It creates a mood. It's foreplay in a box!!

So just keep it in mind that "The Mirror has Two Faces " is NOT about teaching! "You've Got Mail" is NOT about the bookstore business. "When Harry Met Sally" is NOT about moving to New York and establishing a career. "The Matchmaker" is NOT an Irish travel journal. Yes, there will be a test of sorts afterward.....you'll probably fail.

But at least I tried.

louie

3 comments:

  1. Love it! It just comes down to that women are from Venus and men are from Mars. What can I say... :-) , few of them will get it. My boyfriend prefers the bloody type of movie and I wonder why?!?!??!?!?!? Why would you not enjoy Chick Flicks? It's a mystery to me!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. If women really are from Venus and men really are from Mars, then why are we suppose to interbreed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, excellent questions, Louie!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete