Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Genetic Flaw

I have decided that I have some sort of genetic flaw that makes me want to build stuff.... lots of stuff. I am currently trying to read up on stone circles. I've gotten Rob Roy's book on stone circles from thew library and it's a project that i am keen to get a start on. As well as the outdoor kitchen..... the fireplace... the outdoor oven.... Yup! there definitely has to be something wrong with me. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a second piece of land with a huge pond on it. Then I could build cabins around the pond. That would be so much fun!!

Last night I was drawing floor plans again. I can't help myself. It's better then a puzzle for keeping the mind occupied. And there is no stress. It is only paper. You can work out your square footage, your ceiling heights, storage spaces, appliance sizes, electrical and water usage. It's all strangely addictive.

I see huge houses and I am amazed at the amount of wasted space there is in them and then I look at the cabin designs. There can't be ANY wasted space. No dead corners. It has to be a little jewel box of architecture, It has to be as perfect as you can manage it.

The smallest I seem to be able to get with a fully functioning house is 16x24 ft. I've seen smaller houses built but you either give up the option of ever having company over, or relinquishing the use of a washer and dryer. I think that's a mistake. And speaking of company... you really have to plan your outdoor space more when you have a small house. It needs to be so pleasant, because people who live in small houses do so because that isn't what's important to them. The house is smaller part of a greater whole. Yes, I am needing to build a cabin.... and I will get to it just as soon as I finish my stone circle, my outdoor kitchen, my fireplace, my oven.... and it IS almost spring!

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment