Thursday, February 23, 2012

This Morning

In northern Iowa, the weather forecast is for approximately eight inches of snow. Here in southern Iowa, it should end up around forty degrees F. I've chored the horses. And on the way back to the house, the skies opened. Instead of snow, we are getting the liquid stuff. My coat and head scarf soaked through. My pants drenched from the knee down. I am cold and wet. But somehow it smells like spring. The soil is waking up.

All that seems to be on public broadcasting is cooking shows. I don't particularly want to see lobster bisque this morning. I want to see gardening. I want to see turned soil and plants and sun. I want to revel in this hopeful pursuit. Hope is a good thing and I feel a need to be saturated in it. My life philosophy is to be as realistic as you can be when assessing your life. Then take every positive action that you can to change what needs to be changed. It's hard to take positive action in the winter, especially when so much of my life takes place outside of these walls.

But for right now, it's raining and it is beginning to smell like spring. And that is going to have to be enough to get me through the day.

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment