Friday, November 11, 2011

Another Fortune Cookie

I was cleaning out my purse the other day... looking for a fresh prescription that I needed to drop off for Mac. And in amongst the canceled checks, alfalfa pellet receipts and general debris, I found a fortune cookie fortune. Don't know how I could have lost this one, as it was a particularly good one. It said...."You will have good luck and overcome many hardships"

The first thing that jumped out at me was OVERCOME. It was like some huge reassurance that I would survive all this. It felt very nice.

Then it occurred to me that having good luck didn't necessarily insure that I wouldn't have hardships. Then of course, I had to wonder if my good luck would include the lotto and paying off my bills, because that would be very nice indeed.

My fortunes are like my lotto tickets. Hanging on the front of the fridge under a magnet. A diminutive billboard for hope. There hangs the belief that not only can I change my own fortune but also change the tide in the world for good. Who knows, maybe some day I will have enough money to help replant the rain forest. Maybe I can make micro business loans to women the world over. Maybe I can help house the homeless. Maybe, maybe, maybe.....

First, I must overcome many hardships. Then we will see what happens.

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment