Wednesday, March 17, 2010

that was then, this is now

There are events that bring back memories with such clarity, that it is almost as if we were there and watching the event unfold. This happened for me last night. A reminder, a nudge from the TV and I was back in high school and helping with the saturday swim lessons. I was manager of the boys and girls swimming team and a member of the synchronized swimming team. I was as fast as a rock but swam like an otter. Which was probably a good thing for helping five year olds learn to swim. The swim team volunteers helped with one on one learning and one Saturday I drew a little boy that would not go in the water! He was in tears occasionally. The best I could do was get him to be a wall hugger but he spent most of the first half of the morning on deck. Then the dad could take no more. With a face like thunder he was off the bleachers. Across the deck. Had the little boy in his arms. Chucked him into an open spot. The child sunk like a rock. I was beside him when he came up. He looked around in panic. Took a couple of gulps of air. He was staying up with just a little bit of a guiding hand and then....he was all smiles! By the end of the morning, he was well on his way to being an otter himself. He could swim a good ten feet off the wall then push off my legs and make it back.

Sometimes we just get thrown into the deep end before we think were ready. Sometimes WHERE we get thrown in is a real shit hole. All the more reason to swim.

But, I have to be honest here. Some of the deep ends that I have been thrown into have been awfully, awfully good. And then it's an adventure.

I have SO many adventures to go on yet. I WILL have my hippy homestead. I WILL become proficient with my horses. I WILL do everything in my power to make my husband well. And I will grab with all of my strength, all of the magic that this life has to offer and I will do battle with anyone that tries to stop me.

Maybe swimming like an otter has made me a bit of a warrior woman .... well, something has.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody! Erin Go Bragh!

louie

No comments:

Post a Comment