Friday, July 25, 2014

Ideas and Efforts

It's been a busy week.  We have the chicken coop pretty much finished.  The roof is still tar paper.  shingles might take a back seat for a little while.  the sides are wrapped with Tyvek and we are still trying to figure out the best way to side the coop.  Yesterday we started with the interior "appointments".  The large nest box has been installed and I have yet to get any perches in.  It took me a day and a half to get in the little chicken door, the window and the larger person door.  I get a little frustrated at how slowly I seem to work.  I keep telling my broody hen...."Maybe today.  Maybe I will get you into the nice nest box today."  I am hoping that the change of scenery will bring her out of her broodiness.  She seems such a miserable, introverted soul right now.  Squatting there in the hay with a dull look in her eye.

On the other hand there are the chicks.  They are happy and healthy.  Very active and they have figured out that there is something attached to the hand that descends from the sky bringing water and crumbles and grass to kick around.  Now they stand and watch.  Tilt their wee heads to the side and give me a chicken style stare.  Today when I fed them I noticed they had started sprouting their tail feathers.  A reminder that I need to get them out of the house soon.

We now have a solid roof on the greenhouse.  I know that seems illogical.  We considered our weather conditions.  We have high winds.  We have brutal sun in the mid to late summer and I can't really afford to be replacing the plastic every six months as the result.  So we chose a solid roof.  We will put the Tyvek up on the ends.  I have one old window that I can fit into the center section of the back.  The rest of the back and front will get screened and will have a roll up cover.  This way we can go from greenhouse to shade house and hopefully be more practical and useful.  I need to get the tar paper up on that roof yet.

Then there is my hay situation.  It has been depressing me a bit lately.  I don't like being depressed.  So, it has left me thinking, what can I do to make this a catalyst for a positive outcome?  I am kicking around the idea of a kickstarter project.  I am formulating the ideas and the presentation.  I think I have it figured out.  My project is what it has always been... building soil.  But I haven't had much in the ways of tools or equipment.  I need to get the equipment.  When I have all of my ducks in a row, I shall post links here.  I suppose it is a situation of... when life gives you lemons, make a margarita.  In my case I shall be following up with manure tea.

I will leave you on that happy thought.

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment