Friday, November 16, 2012

A Couple of Things...

Two things that have changed recently.  First, I have gotten the horses moved back up to the pasture behind the house for the winter.  I hope it's for the winter anyway, cause dragging buckets of water out to the back pasture on a sled was a massive pain in my ass!  there are some concerns still with the front pasture.  I still need some type of shelter.  I have no idea why this is so hard to figure out.... but it is.  It became necessary to go ahead and move them when I found that a deer had gone through the back fence causing the electric fence to short out.  I have got the front fence with so many extra connections and jumps to additional areas that there doesn't seem to be a lot of juice running through it.   I REALLY hope the girls don't put it to the test!   More frustrations!  Will I ever overcome the fence dilemma?!!

Oh well, I am enjoying walking around the house and seeing their beautiful faces.  My first instinct is to make sure they are inside the fence instead of meandering around outside.  Then, I am filled with joy.

The other thing done is the chicken yard.  Woohoo!!!  It has been fun to watch them.  The extra space has brought out more chicken-y behavior.   I have now gotten to hear an egg song.  And the contented nest building song.  The "she's stealing eggs" warning and, also, the "Hey! there's food here" announcement.  I'm learning lots!

I wish I could say that I have also learned to overcome all of my fears with taking care of my animals.  I have not.  Maybe that's something that will happen next summer.  Maybe that should go on the to-do list now... fear eradication and possibly buying a chainsaw.

Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment